Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day 28 - Devil's Tower!

When I woke up the next morning, things weren't right. All my stuff was where'd I'd left it in the room, but contents had shifted in my stomach overnight. Around my second trip to the toilet was when I mused over the wisdom of trying to consume one's body weight in cinnamon roll in a 24-hour period. Nothing was concluded except that I wouldn't be making the best time on the road that day.

And if you can believe it, I didn't take any pictures to commemorate THAT part of my journey.

The drive was lazy, which worked out because I wasn't in the mood to navigate anymore wildernesses. Wildernessi? Gathering of wilderness? I don't know, I just wasn't up for it. I just wanted to get to Devil's Tower in time to do a walkaround in daylight. And so I did! Here it is from afar...


Getting closer...

Some literature on the site...

A giant rock, as seen by J. J Abrams.

It may seem odd that this nub of the planet gets so much attention, but I think everyone feels that way. How many other places can say there's a chunk of rock that just shoots out of the ground for hundreds of feet? It is odd. That's why people like it.

After all that, I needed some refreshment, so I picked up a gumdrop. 
It tasted dry.

I think the next update will be my last for the travel blog, but it's going out with a bang - Mt. Rushmore, Badlands National Park, and a restaurant that caters to the undead!

No comments: