Sunday, February 15, 2015

Vacation

While there's no such thing as gentle travelling, especially over oceans and continents, I have to admit so far this isn't so bad.

CONTEXT: My dad flew me out to visit him in England for a little while, see the sights and the accommodations he's getting used to. They're pretty swank.

Lugging luggage (band name trademarked) with one arm is less fun than it sounds. I put my sling back on mostly to remind myself not to do anything stupid like try to lift anything, but also to play up some sympathy with the airline staff. Officially there's little they can do, but I did find myself alone in my row of seats, which is just about the next best thing to First Class. I liked it!

Dad and I have been roaming the area a lot. The day I got here we walked through Grantham to pick up the essentials, Thursday we went to Melton Mowbray and toured St. Mary's and the Anne of Cleves Pub. Neither one had the souvenier Dad really wanted (his missing glasses), but both were fun. Saturday we just barely made it into York, seeing as half the country was going in that direction, but we had a good time. The York Minster is one of the most spectacular churches there is, I challenge anyone to walk the Viking wall and NOT want the Visigoths to invade just so you can fight them off, and the rest of the city is lovely (though crowded).

But there's also the grand estate that is my dad's home and place of business this semester. It's like a vacation home planted in the 1850's - all the settings of a romanticised aristocratic lifestyle without sacrificing modern amenities. Today's goal is pictures. Lots of pictures.

And getting to London. But other than that!

It's been difficult to feel relaxed with so many trips to go on, but it's a different kind of stress and I haven't thought about my normal kind in a while. My right arm is much more flexible to, able to reach almost as far as my left again. I suppose I'll be spending this week getting the last 1-2% of mobility back, because next week is when the doctor tells me how to start rebuilding strength. It's pretty exciting!

No comments: