Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Scheming

I've been ignoring this blog for a few weeks now in favor of concocting dastardly plans.

The first is Halloween, a holiday that for all its possibilities I do not have a good record of observing. I'm changing that with an attempt to assemble a costume for Starman (DC Comics character, the James Robinson version). Considering my fascination for weapons and artifacts, it was an easy sell. Whether I succeed or fail, I promise to post the results.

Second and perhaps most exciting is my impending trip to New York. The lodgings are theoretically taken care of, I'm getting suggestions for things to do, and otherwise I'm going to let one of the wildest places in the world have its way with me. Perhaps I should be more afraid.

My plan with the largest scope is NaNoWriMo. I've loved writing for over a decade, have known about this contest for years, but never had the inspiration (or maybe patience) to participate. Besides, I feel I'm better at writing for comics, so it never entered my mind to try. That changed this year over lunch one day - I felt random so rather than polish my other projects I tried my hand at something new. I only half-succeeded by writing new things about an old story set I came up with in a writing group a few years back. I'd never actually done the background for some of this stuff, and seeing it in front of me demanded that I do more.

Now 50,000 words a month, while daunting, isn't the challenge here. The challenge is doing that much (or close to it) while working a full time job, going to New York for half a week, and entertaining Duncan Thanksgiving week. Should be fun!

1 comment:

beyceyar said...

Good luck with NaNoWriMo. I tried last year and... well, I'm going to try a lot harder this year.

I would like to entertain Duncan.

My real reason for commenting, though, is to mention this 79% absinthe you can now get in Falmouth. It's jet black, like oil. You drink it, there's a burning sensation down into your stomach, then the burning travels up again. Then, when you wake up the next morning, there are still absinthe crystals in your stomach, meaning that if you drink water, you get drunk again. It's really very very good...